How to Choose a Bike Rack
Are you looking to buy a bike rack? If so, you may be wondering what type would be best suited for your purposes. Here’s a guide to the three most popular types and what you should know about each one.
A traditional option for casual users.
· Pros. They can accommodate bikes of all types. They’re secure, stable and offer unimpeded access to doors, windows and trunks.
· Cons. Some models require removing your bike’s front wheel and they require a lot of lifting. They’re not be the best choice for heavy bikes. They also cause wind resistance and low-clearance
spaces can be a problem if your car is taller than average. Finally, they don’t protect your bike from bad weather and additional hardware is required to prevent theft.
· Bottom line. They’re a good option but may not be the best for transporting expensive and heavy bikes.
An inexpensive option for occasional users.
· Pros. They’re affordable, versatile, lightweight and easy to transfer between cars.
· Cons. They block trunk access and only fit two or three bikes. Some models may reduce visibility if bikes block the rear window, which can be a safety concern. Improper use can result in bikes
falling off, bumping into each other or damaging your car.
· Bottom line. A good option for casual riders that but may impede vision or damage bikes or car if used incorrectly. Make sure to carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
If you plan on transporting your bikes regularly and often, a hitch rack is a great option.
· Pros. Easy to install and able to carry more bikes than any other type of rack, they’re the best choice for serious riders.
· Cons. They require practice to use correctly and driving adjustments need to be made because of the extended vehicle length. Plus, they may obscure tail lights and rear license plates.
Advanced models are expensive. Finally, kids’ bikes, full suspension mountain bikes and other specialized models may need an adapter to fit properly
· Bottom line. A great option for dedicated riders, hitch racks require care and caution to be used safely.
Your source for bike racks in Vancouver
The best way to select the right rack is to ask the experts. For knowledgeable advice and a wide selection of roof, hitch and trunk racks in Vancouver, visit us at Burnaby Hitch. Call us today or visit our showroom to learn more about our products and services.